You probably have many questions regarding your business’ Instagram page: what type of photos to post, what hashtags should I use or how do I get more followers to see my photos? They are all great questions (ones we’ll certainly address in upcoming blogs), but one of the big questions that we, as jeweler Instagrammers, face is: How often should I post? You don’t want to post too much and just annoy the heck out of your followers, but at the same time, you don’t want to post too little and lose their attention, altogether - so the million dollar questions is, what’s the balance? And the answer is, there isn’t one right answer. Comforting, I know… but there is research and examples to glean from, and that’s where we’ll start. What the Experts Say
Research from companies such as Adobe Spark and Sprout Social have shown us a lot about activity on Instagram and how to glean from it. When dealing with the frequency of posting on Instagram, Adobe Spark discovered that, in general, most businesses post 1 photo a day. Larger and more distinguished brands post up to 10 times a day, with smaller and newer businesses every couple of days.
We’ve seen that posting at the best times also boosts your posts, so it’s a balance between time and frequency.
5 Keys to Posting
In light of research and experience, we’ve come up with 5 keys for you to follow when deciding how often you should be posting:
1. Consistency Over Frequency: No matter how often you are posting, every day or every 3 days, the importance is remaining constant. Set a schedule and stick with it!
2. Quality Over Quantity: It’s true with most things and life, and also with your IG posts - Quality always trumps Quantity! Focus on posting high-quality photos before worrying about how many.
3. Start Out Around the Average: The average business posts 1.5 a day, but take in consideration that this includes the big guns, who are posting more than 10 times a day. We suggest beginning small with every other day or every 3 days until
you get the hang of it.
4. Ask Your Followers: A great way to figure out how often to post is simply to ask your followers. Now with IG’s Stories poll feature, it’s even easier!
5. Analyze: In the beginning, it will be trial and error until you find something that works for you. Take stock of what is working and what isn’t. If posting every 3 days isn’t bringing much traction, try posting every other day.
We’ll leave you with a terrific example of a jewelry business on IG who’s nailing it! Larenbjewelry, from NY, has a thriving IG business account and stunning posts. On average, she posts 1-2 times a day. She also takes full advantage of IG’s Stories and e-commerce buttons, as well as videos within her feed.
Join the Conversation: How often do you post on Instagram? Share your IG posting experiences with fellow jewelers on our Facebook page: Jewelers Conquering the Digital World